Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Starting Activity: Click Here
Business Insights: Essentials (Gale)
Business Insights: Essentials combines all of the content formerly found in Business & Company Resource Center with a new interface designed around the research goals and workflows of your diverse business research community. Easily find information on companies, industries and more in the context of timely news, statistical data, and in-depth reports.
National Newspapers Premier
Contains full text and links to national newspapers.
Regional Business News
Full text coverage for 75 business journals, newspapers and newswires from all metropolitan and rural areas within the United States.
Nexis Uni features more than 15,000 news, business and legal sources from LexisNexis—including U.S. Supreme Court decisions dating back to 1790—with an intuitive interface that offers quick discovery across all content types, personalization features such as Alerts and saved searches and a collaborative workspace with shared folders and annotated documents.
Press Release Breakdown Activity
In groups of two, go over 2 articles and answer the following questions:
- How did the news organization use the press release?
- What do you think convinced the news organization to write the story?
- What do you think the company was trying to achieve by putting out the press release?
If you have time, try to find the actual press release the article refers to, using the database or using google.
Graded Group Activity: Write a press release
- In groups of 2, Pick a company off of the following list. Raise your hand and claim it and we will mark it off. First come first served!:
- Apple Inc. (Smartphones and devices, etc.)
- Samsung Electronics Company Ltd. (Consumer electronics)
- Amazon.com Inc. (Online Retail)
- Alibaba.com Ltd. (Online Retail)
- CostCo Wholesale Corp. (Wholesale Retail)
- Whole Foods Market Inc. (Supermarket Chain)
- Wynn Resorts Ltd. (Casinos)
- Morgan Stanley (Investment Banking)
- Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (Investment Banking)
- Raytheon Co. (Defense)
- Lockheed Martin Corp. (Defense)
- The Boeing Corp. (Defense, Commercial Airlines)
Graded Group Activity: Rubric
The press release must:
- Be about an issue that has an impact on your company.
- Detail a hypothetical action the company is taking to address that issue (or why the issue is not a negative for the company)
- Use at least one news source and one other source of data from the databases.
- Be aimed at reassuring investors.
For Additional Help, Contact Your Course Librarian
Journalism.org Daily Briefing