Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Library Instruction Objectives
GOAL: To locate current news stories on the developing world from foreign & U.S. news sources.
STEP 1: Start browsing topics from a specific country (BBC News or BBC News Country Profiles may be a great place to start).
- UNDP.org is a great place to see what's happening with the Sustainable Development Goals (these are the updated & expanded Millennium Development Goals) in your country.
- Country Overviews. From the UNDP.org webpage, click on the globe at the top right of the page, then select your country. (NOTE: On other pages in the UNDP website, the globe is replaced with "Around the World.")
STEP 2: Locate foreign & U.S. news sources:
- The easiest way to find news sources from a particular country is to run a Google search with the following in the search box: site:fr (or the two-letter country code of whichever country you’re interested in), then click on the News link near the top of the page. To find the two-letter country code for your country, go to https://countrycode.org/
- To find lists of newspapers or other media from your country, check your country's Wikipedia page.
STEP 3: Be sure to VERIFY that the newspapers you are finding originate from your target country.
Alternatives for North Korea
Sources from some countries like North Korea are nearly impossible to find. Your professor has provided two sources that ARE acceptable for North Korea:
Nexis Uni features more than 15,000 news, business and legal sources from LexisNexis—including U.S. Supreme Court decisions dating back to 1790—with an intuitive interface that offers quick discovery across all content types, personalization features such as Alerts and saved searches and a collaborative workspace with shared folders and annotated documents.
ProQuest Research Library
Abstracts and full text for scholarly journals, trade publications, magazines, and newspapers. Covers the arts, business, children, education, general interest, health, humanities, international, law, military, multicultural, psychology, sciences, social sciences, and women's studies.
Online Resources for International News Sources
Tips for Identifying the Origin of a Source
When using Nexis Uni:
- Select Advanced Search/News.
- Type in search terms: “cote d’ivoire” OR “ivory coast” AND cocoa OR chocolate
- Set your date range (left side of the page).
- When finished, click Search at the bottom of the page.
For news sources found online, search the website for clues about its country of origin: