Look for biographical info about the author in the book itself or on the inside or back cover. Look for biographical info using Wikipedia or other web pages. Look for other books written by the author using the database called IDS Search. Look for articles written by the author using Historical Abstracts, Jstor, Academic Search Complete, ProQuest (or other databases). Find book reviews, review articles, and web pages that analyze, criticize, support, or refute your author, using Historical Abstracts, Jstor, Academic Search Complete, ProQuest (or other databases), and Amazon.com and web searches.
Calamity and Reform in China: State, Rural Society... by Dali L. Yang
End of Hidden Ireland: Rebellion, Famine, and Emigration, by Robert James Scally
Famine and Fashion: Needlewomen in the Nineteenth Century, edited by Beth Harris
Famine, Disease, and the Social Order in Early Modern Society, edited by John Walter and Roger Schofield
Famine Ships: The Irish Exodus to America, by Edward Laxton
Great Famine: Northern Europe in the Early Fourteenth Century, by William Chester Jordan
Harvest of Sorrow: Soviet Collectivization and the Terror-Famine, by Robert Conquest
Herbert Hoover and Famine Relief to Soviet Russia, 1921-1923, by Benjamin M. Weissman
Hunger by Design: The Great Ukrainian Famine and its Soviet Context, edited by Halyna Hryn
Late Victorian Holocausts: El Niño Famines and the Making of the Third World, by Mike Davis
Marching Through Suffering: Loss and Survival in North Korea, by Sandra Fahy
Markets and Famines, by Martin Ravallion
Mao's Great Famine: The History of China's Most ... by Frank Dikötter
Red Tears: War, Famine, and Revolution in Ethiopia, by Dawit Wolde Giorgis
Resettlement and Famine in Ethiopia: The Villagers' Experience, by Alula Pankhurst
USE THIS GOOGLEDOC TO RECORD WHAT YOU FIND ABOUT THE AUTHOR YOU ARE INVESTIGATING.
Brainstorm your own topic in this manner and then open the database America: History & Life and, using the search words you came up with and your knowledge of search logic (ANDS/ORS), find some articles. Next open up IDS Search and look for some books.
USE THIS GOOGLEDOC TO RECORD WHAT YOU FIND TODAY.
Example: "Famine in Africa: a global perspective"
1. "New variant famine: AIDS and food crisis in southern Africa"
2. "Entitlements or empowerment? Famine and starvation in Africa"
3. "Fertility trends, excess mortality, and the Great Irish Famine"
4. "Scurvy in the Great Irish Famine: Evidence of vitamin C deficiency from a mid‐19th century skeletal population"
5. "The deadly fungus: an econometric investigation into the short-term demographic impact of the Irish Famine 1846-1851"
6. "Migration as disaster relief: Lessons from the Great Irish Famine"
7. "The 1932 Harvest and the Famine of 1933"
8. "Demography of a man-made human catastrophe: The case of massive famine in Ukraine 1932-1933"
Common searching errors:
#1 Getting the search logic wrong -- confusing "and" and "or"
#2 Adding extraneous words
#3 Getting the search logic wrong -- confusing "and" and "or"
#4 Adding extraneous words
#5 Not understanding subject headings
#6 Being too specific