Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Logos, Ethos, and Pathos
Using Language to Persuade or Manipulate
"He's an ex-con."
"He served time."
terrorist freedom fighters insurgents
under cover of dark at night
Activity: Rhetorical Strategies or Deception?
Group 1 Tricks of the Journalism Trade
What tactic is being used in these headlines?
- "Iranians building up nuclear arsenal"
- "Syrians refuse to stop funding terrorists"
- "Americans bomb school in Afghanistan"
Which sounds more sinister?
- "Castro’s regime made some surprising economic decisions." OR "Castro's policy advisors made surprising economic decisions."
- "He's an ex-con." OR "He served time in prison."
- "They left at night." OR "They left under cover of dark."
- "He's a member at an exclusive club." OR "He's a member of a swanky club."
- "Reports were made of his alleged involvement in a business deal." OR "Allegations were made implicating him in a money-making scheme."
Group 2 Consider how a writer's choice of words reflects their perspective.
Which sentence sounds more impressive?
Which sentence is more objective?
Which sentence reveals the author's opinion?
Group 3 Detecting bias
Can you tell which headline writer sides with the perpetrators instead of the victims of this attack? Headline 1 or Headline 2
- "Suicide Bomber and 2 Women Die in Attack at Mall in Israeli Town”
- "Terrorist Kills 2 Women in Attack at Mall in Israeli Town"
How do each of the authors of these headlines feel about the event?
- “Armed insurgents Detain Diplomats in Syria."
- "Terrorists Kidnap Diplomats in Syria."
- "Freedom Fighters Invade Mosul in Northern Iraq."
- "Armed Rebels Invade Mosul in Northern Iraq."
Which of these statements is following sound journalistic practices?
- "It is widely believed that the riots were started by a group calling itself the Peace Brigade."
- "Two bystanders stated that the riots were started by a group calling itself the Peace Brigade."